Dual Language Immersion
Bilingual and Biliteracy | Grade Level Achievement | Sociocultural Competence
HBE DLI Information 2024-2025
Feb 7th 5:30-6:00 PM
Are you interested in learning more about the Dual Language Immersion (DLI) program at our school? We are excited to invite incoming kindergarten students and their families to an informational meeting where you can learn about the program, meet the DLI teachers of the K-3 grade level and take a tour of the kindergarten DLI classrooms. This is a great opportunity to learn more about the program, ask questions, and get a sense of what the classroom environment will be like for your child. Additionally, applications for the DLI program will be available for those who are interested in applying. We welcome all current DLI parents to attend as well. Don't miss out on this chance to learn more about the amazing opportunities our DLI program has to offer!
Dual Language Immersion Classroom Tours
Feb 6, 7, and 8
Do you have a child entering Kindergarten this fall?
Are you a Southwest Dubois employee, parent, grandparent, or community member that would like to see a dual language classroom in action?
We invite you to visit Huntingburg Elementary School and get acquainted with our unique Dual Language program!
Attend a 30 minute guided walking tour and learn about our cutting-edge program.
Call the school today to schedule your visit!
7 de Febrero, 5:30-6:00 PM
¿Estás interesado en saber más sobre el Programa de Inmersión en Doble Idioma (DLI) en nuestra escuela? Nos complace invitar a los estudiantes entrantes de kindergarten y a sus familias a una reunión informativa donde podrán conocer el programa, reunirse con los maestros de DLI de los grados K-3 y hacer un recorrido por las aulas de kindergarten de DLI. Esta es una excelente oportunidad para obtener más información sobre el programa, hacer preguntas y tener una idea de cómo será el ambiente en el aula para su hijo. Además, habrá solicitudes disponibles para aquellos interesados en postularse al programa DLI. También damos la bienvenida a todos los padres actuales de DLI a asistir. ¡No te pierdas esta oportunidad de conocer más sobre las increíbles oportunidades que ofrece nuestro programa DLI!
Recorridos por los Salones de Inmersión en Doble Idioma
Feb 6, 7 y 8
¿Tiene un hijo que ingresará al Kinder este otoño?
¿Es usted empleado, padre, abuelo o miembro de la comunidad de Southwest Dubois y le gustaría ver una clase de doble idioma en acción?
¡Lo invitamos a visitar la Escuela Primaria Huntingburg y familiarizarse con nuestro programa único de Doble Idioma!
Participe en un recorrido a pie guiado de 30 minutos y conozca nuestro programa de vanguardia.
¡Llame a la escuela hoy para programar su visita!
Discover the magic of bilingual education and learn about the enriching experiences we offer at Huntingburg Elementary School. Join us for an exclusive tour of our Elementary School's Dual Language Immersion (DLI) program! This is open to all interested parents, current parents, community members, local businesses, and grandparents. Don't miss the chance to witness the power of language learning in shaping bright futures!
Descubre la magia de la educación bilingüe y conoce las enriquecedoras experiencias que ofrecemos en la escuela Huntingburg Elementary. ¡Acompáñanos en un recorrido exclusivo por el programa de Inmersión en Doble Idioma (DLI) de nuestra escuela primaria! Esta invitación está abierta a todos los padres interesados, padres actuales, miembros de la comunidad, empresas locales y abuelos. ¡No pierdas la oportunidad de presenciar el poder del aprendizaje de idiomas en la formación de futuros brillantes!
Enrollment for the dual language program is currently closed for the 2022-2023 school year.
Southwest Dubois School Corporation offers elementary dual language programs at Huntingburg Elementary School. We currently offer kindergarten to 3rd grade dual language with plans to expand through the corporation in the coming years.
*Please note: grade level is for the 2022-2023 school year.
Students in Southridge’s dual language programs receive 50% of their instruction in English and 50% in Spanish and are taught by qualified bilingual teachers. The program includes students who are native speakers of English and Spanish. For our native English-speaking students, the goal is to start the language learning process early-on so students can retain and continue to build on their Spanish skills. For our native Spanish-speaking students (who may also be English language learners), this program supports them by providing instruction and allowing them to express themselves in their dominant language, while simultaneously building their English skills. Ultimately, we hope for all students in the program to achieve bilingualism, biliteracy, and sociocultural competence.
- Students learn to read and write in both languages. Reading and writing will be taught in both languages at each grade level K-5. Other subject areas will be allocated 50% in English / 50 % in Spanish and will alternate.
- Families must choose to be in the program. Students need the full support of their families to succeed. Their family does not have to be bilingual in order for the student to succeed and become bilingual and bi-literate.
- Languages are not taught as in a Spanish language class. Instead, students are immersed in each language and study the same subjects as all students at the school.
- The teacher does not translate for the students. Children have a natural language-learning capacity, and using a second language to learn interesting things at school is a natural way to pick up that language.
The goals of the dual language program are to help students:
- Become bilingual and biliterate, developing high levels of proficiency in two languages.
- Perform at or above grade level in academic areas in both languages.
- Demonstrate positive cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors.
- Being bilingual is good for the brain.
- Students in a dual language program have higher academic achievement.
- Bilingual people have greater economic opportunities than people who don’t speak two languages.
- Students in a dual language program learn about and respect other cultures and languages.
- Students benefit from a dual language program most when enrolled for 6 years or more.
- Our DLI program offers a rich bilingual experience for young learners when their minds are developmentally ready.
- Language immersion students typically develop an enhanced cognitive flexibility, memory, primary language skills, and problem solving.
- Immersion students are also more aware and tolerant of other cultures and people.
- After English, Spanish is the most frequently spoken language by students and families in our district.
- There are more resources and teachers available for these languages.
- There are many future job opportunities for Spanish speakers in our community.
For more information about our dual language programs, please contact Rossina Sandoval Monsivais, Director of Community Engagement, email@example.com, 812-683-3971 ext. 5006